Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

A good little reminder I had this morning came while reading Elder Oaks talk in this last priesthood session. Talking about a father who lost his daughter to cancer, Elder Oaks quotes him saying, "Our family's faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes."

Isn't that incredible? Someone who lost so much is able to take a step back and realize that no matter what happens - it is in the Lord's hands.

I guess this was a good little reminder for me because of the recent happenings of my grandma and grandpa Telford. As most of you know they are in their late 90's and have recently taken a turn for the worst. My grandma has Parkinson's disease and it has "attacked" her throat making it near impossible for her to swallow. Watching her struggle through this, and seeing the toll it is taking on my grandpa, mom, aunts, uncles, etc. is probably one of the hardest things my family has gone through. Weighing only about 100 pounds now, all I can do is trust that this is what our Father in Heaven has in mind for her.

But... "[my] faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes."

As tough as this is, I have recently been learning so much about my grandparents relationship and the truly incredible people they are. Having probably the cutest and most romantic marriage I have ever seen, even in their late years, I truly hope to find someone exactly like my grandpa.

EXAMPLE: While on his mission, Gwen (now grandma Telford) would write Jim (now grandpa Telford) the cutest letters I have ever read. In one of them she writes,

"Darling, no love is complete in marriage if it is a selfish love and ours is far from being selfish. . . Just think of the fun we'll have when there is a little black headed chubby faced Jimmie and a blonde Gwennie dressed in a little blue silk dress. Oh kid, I can't even write about it without crying. I can just see you standing towering above a little tiny boy who toddles uncertainly over and grabs your legs in his two little arms and looks up trustingly into his daddy's face. . . Jim dear, please don't fall for England too hard or you'll never be satisfied with home again . . ."


(Gwen and Jim in their younger years.)

I could go on for days of cute examples like this but if you want to hear more (I sound like a tv commercial), my cute mom has started this blog dedicated to them, their lives, courtship, engagement, and 70 years of marriage!



Just remember, when life throws you some sort of discouragement or difficulty say to yourself,

"[my] faith is in Jesus Christ and is not dependent on outcomes."

No comments:

Post a Comment

These little notes sure brighten my day :)